Sometimes, you want to stream a video in VLC. You copy the video link and paste it in VLC and an error message pops up saying like “your input can’t be opened.” It usually happens when you enter the URL of the YouTube video in VLC. It shows like VLC can’t open the MRL you have entered.
There may be several reasons for this error. Let’s see the reasons and the methods to fix the error.
Method # 1: Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
VLC may be showing this error due to the interference of the Windows firewall. So, turn it off for some time to check whether it resolves the issue or not. Follow the steps below in this context.
- Go to the “Search” that’s next to the “Start” button. Type here “Windows Firewall” to open it.
- Now, you will see here the “Windows Defender Firewall” option.
- Turn it off. You will see here two options to turn off the Windows Firewall. Turn off both of them.
- Now, click the “Change Settings” option here.
- Scroll down and make sure; all checkboxes are selected.
- Select “OK” to save the settings.
- Restart your PC and add the same link to VLC. This time, the app will play your desired song smoothly.
Method # 2: Disable Antivirus Program
If you are using a non-Microsoft antivirus program, it may be interrupting the functioning of the VLC player. You should turn it off for a few hours to stop its interruption. Follow the directions below in this context.
- Right-click the antivirus program and select the “Disable” option from here.
- It will disable the antivirus program for some time.
If you are using the Windows antivirus program, you can disable it by swapping to the right.
Methods # 3: Check VLC Updates
If you are using the old version of VLC, it may show this error. You should update the VLC player so that you could fix the error. Check the updates and install them if any updates are available. Follow the instructions below.
- Select “Help” and click “Check for Updates in VLC” option.
- It will show you if some updates are available for VLC.
- Select “Yes” and click “Install” to start the installation of updates.
- Close the VLC player and reopen it. Now, try the same video in the VLC player and this time, it will run.
Methods # 4: Save YouTube Link as YouTube.lau file
The error may be occurring due to the file format issue. If you are trying to play a YouTube video, don’t open the file directly. Save it as “.lau” file to the VLC playlist folder. Follow the steps here in this context.
- Open this page in Google Chrome. (If you are using any other browser, you can open it in that)
- Here, you will see the “Download” button. Click on it to save YouTube.lau file.
- Now, go to the File Explorer on the taskbar.
- Open the folder where you have saved “YouTube.lau” file.
- Right-click the “YouTube.lau” file and select “Copy” from the context menu.
- Open the C: drive and go to the “Program Files.”
- Select here “(x86)VideoLANVLCluaplaylist” folder.
- Now, go to the “Playlist” folder. Right-click here and select “Paste” to put the “YouTube.lau” file in it.
- Open the VLC player and past the same URL here. It will play now.
Methods # 5: Download YouTube Video
Don’t play the video in VLC directly by adding its URL. Download the videos by using a third-party app. Save the video on your PC. Now, play the videos in VLC. It won’t show the same error again.