Windows is the most wanted OS for users around the globe. You enjoy the hassle-free operation of all versions of Windows such as Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Windows 10 is the securest OS. However, some users complain that they encounter “Installation package could not be opened” error while installing an app in Windows 10.
Well, installation is very easy in this version of Windows, but still many users are facing this error and they are unable to fix it. Here, I am discussing all solutions to fix this error. You can resolve it within a few minutes. Here is how to do it.
Method # 1: Download from a Trusted Source
Make sure; you are downloading the file from a trusted online source. Don’t download any file from an unknown source. It may contain a harmful element like a virus. Furthermore, it may have a broken or damaged file. So, always download from a trustworthy source.
Method # 2: Disable Antivirus Program Temporarily
Sometimes, an antivirus program doesn’t let an app install in your Operating System. It considers it like a virus or a harmful file. So, you see this error message. You can fix the error by disabling your antivirus program for a few hours.
- Go to the antivirus program’s icon and right-click on it.
- Select “Disable” from here to turn it off for a few hours.
- Reboot your system and re-install the app. This time, you won’t see the error message.
Method # 3: Status of Application
Check the status of the application. It should be unblocked to install it. Windows 10 Security feature blocks certain applications from installation. So, you see this error. Follow these steps to set up it as unblocked.
- Right-click the file you are trying to download.
- Select “Properties” from the context menu.
- Click the “General” tab from here and scroll down to see the “Unblock” checkbox at the bottom.
- If it’s checked, uncheck it and select “Apply” and “OK” to apply the changes.
Now reboot the system and try to install the application once again. This time you will install it successfully.
Method # 4: Check Windows Installer Service
Check the status of Windows Installer Service. Sometimes, it doesn’t run and you are unable to install your desired apps. Follow the steps here to check the status of Windows Installer Service.
- Press the “Windows button + R” to open the Run dialog box.
- Type here “services.msc” and press “Enter.”
- It will show you Services. Scroll down and look for Windows Installer.
- Right-click on Windows Installer and select “Properties” from here.
- In the “Properties” window, check the status of the app as shown in the image below.
- It should be “Started.” If it’s disabled, click to the “Start” option to start it.
- Now, install the app again.
Method # 5: Modify Registry
You can fix this error by changing the registry too. It’s risky to change the registry and it can lead your system towards instability. So, don’t modify if you aren’t an expert user of the registry editor. If you know about it a bit, follow the steps below.
- Press “Windows key + R” to open “Run” dialog box.
- Type here “Regedit” and press “Enter” to open Registry Editor.
- Look for “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” in the left pane.
- Click “System” from here.
- Now, select “Current Control Set” and click “Control.”
- Select “FileSystem” to expand it.
- Right-click on “FileSystem” and select “Export” from the list.
- Select the file from the desired destination and click “Save” to save it.
- In the “FileSystem” key, select “NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation” in the right pane.
- Check it’s the data value. If it’s not “0”, double-click to NtfsDisable to launch “Properties.”
- Here, you will see the value maybe 2 or 1. Set it as “0” and click “OK” to save changes.
- Now, look for the key “Win31FileSystem” as shown in the image here.
- Double click to open its “Properties” and check the value. Set it at “0” too.
- Now, close the Registry Editor and try to install the app again.
Method # 6: Create a New User Account
Another way to fix the error is the creation of a new user account. In this way, you will not encounter the same error again while installing an app. Follow the steps here in this context.
- Press “Windows key + I” to launch “Settings” in Windows 10.
- Go to the “Accounts” section.
- Select “Family & Other People” from here.
- Now, in the section of “Other People”, select “Add someone else to this PC” option.
- Here, add a new account and log in again to Windows by using that account.
That’s it guys, now you can new account to enjoy an error-free installation and net surfing.