When you download a game through the steam client, it shows the message “Allocating disk space.” This message appears usually on the Steam. However, sometimes, it hangs on for too long. Mostly, the Steam client is stuck during the installation and the message screen hangs on. It happens due to various reasons. Here, we have discussed all the reasons and their fixes to resolve this issue. Let’s move to the methods to resolve this problem.
Method # 1: Run an Antivirus Scan
Mostly, it’s due to a malicious virus. It may be interrupting the functioning of the steam client. So, run an antivirus scan to fix this error. It will fix the error permanently by removing the malicious virus.
Method #2: Disable the Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall may be interrupting the action of the Steam client and preventing it from downloading. If this is the case, disable the Windows Firewall to fix this error. Follow the steps below in this context.
- Press “Windows key + R” to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Type here “control.exe” to launch the Control Panel.
- Here, select “System and Security” category to move ahead.
- Now, choose the option “Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the left pane, you will see the option “Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.” Click this option to turn off the firewall.
- Now, you will not receive the error message from the Steam client.
Method # 3: Clear the Download Cache
- Clearing the download cache in the Steam can also resolve this issue instantly. You can clear the download cache to continue the downloads in a flow. Follow the steps below in this context.
- Open the “Steam”
- In the left pane, you will see the “Downloads” category. Click this category and check the option “Clear Download Cache.”
- Now, re-open the steam client and try to download it again. This time, it won’t show any error.
Method # 4: Run the Steam Process as an Administrator
If the above-given solutions don’t work for you, end the Steam Process in the Task Manager and run it as an administrator to fix this error. Follow the steps below.
- Press the “Windows key + R” to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Type here “taskmgr.exe” and press Enter to open the Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager, select the “Processes” tab.
- Here, click the “Steam” process, right-click to it and select “Disable.”
- Close the Task Manager. Locate the “Steam.exe” in your system.
- Right-click to it and select “Properties” to proceed.
- Now, select “Compatibility” from here.
- Under the “Settings” category, check the option “Run this program as an administrator.”
- Now, press “OK” to save the changes.
That’s all. Try to download the same game again. This time you will not see any error.
Method # 5: Change the Download Server
Sometimes, the server you are using for downloading is facing too much traffic. That’s why; it shows this error message. To fix this error, you can change the download server. Follow the steps below in this context.
- Open the “Steam” at the desktop.
- Go to the “Downloads” in the left pane.
- In the right pane, you will see the list of Steam servers under “Download Regions.” Select a server from the list and click “OK” at the bottom of the page.
Now, re-open the client and try to download the same game. It won’t show the error again.
Method # 6: Refresh the Steam Installation
Refreshing the steam installation can also fix the problem within no time. Follow the steps here to fix it.
- Press “Windows key + R” to launch the Run box. Type here “taskmgr.exe” to open the Task Manager.
- Here, in the Processes category, click the “Steam process” and select “Disable.”
- Now, open the “Steam” from its location at the desktop.
- Uninstall its all components except the “SteamApp” and “Steam.exe” file.
- Reboot the system and re-install “Steam” by using the steam.exe file.
That’s it, you have fixed the error successfully.
Method # 8: Stop Overclocking
Currently, many users follow overclocking to increase the efficiency of RAM and to increase the speed of GPU and CPU. However, it’s highly harmful to downloading games. If you are using overclocking, it may be the main cause of the problem. So, stop it and re-open the client to start downloading again.