DirectX, released by Microsoft, consists of high-end graphics. Almost all high-tech games use it in daily operations. It’s a plugin you use in the majority of games. Like other tools and plugins, Microsoft also releases its updated version periodically. The latest version brings more advanced features.
So, we can consider it a core component in Windows gaming. Sometimes, the users get an error message “DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error.” It happens when they try to launch any of their games in Windows 10, 7, or 8.
It disturbs lots of users. However, it’s recoverable by various methods. Here, I am discussing all these methods you can use to fix this error.
Method # 1: Check the Game’s DirectX System Requirement
Every game has different requirements for the DirectX system. The latest games have DirectX 11 or 12 system requirements. If your system doesn’t fulfill these requirements, you can’t run this game. So, first of all, check the game’s requirements of the DirectX system.
Go to the game’s Steam page or visit the game’s publisher’s site.
Here, check the system requirements for the relevant game.
Method # 2: Update Graphics Drivers
An outdated display driver also results in this error. It usually appears when you update Windows OS. So, you need to resolve this issue by updating Graphics drivers. Follow the steps below to update graphics drivers.
- Right-click to the “Start” button and select “Device Manager.”
- Here, click “Display Adapters” to expand this category.
- Right-click to its driver and select “Update Driver” from here.
- Once you update the graphics driver, you would be able to run any game without getting this error.
Method # 3: Install DirectX Latest Version
The correct version of DirectX should be installed to run the latest games. If you are using an outdated or older version of DirectX, it may show this error. So, install the latest version of DirectX to run the games properly. Follow the instructions below in this context.
- Press “Windows key + R” to open the Run dialogue box. Type here “dxdiag” to launch the “DirectX Diagnostic Tool.”
- Check here the version of DirectX. It should be the latest one.
- If it’s not the latest version, search for the latest version at Microsoft’s official site in downloads.
- Install it and reboot the system. Now, launch the game. This time, it won’t show the error.
Method # 4: Change Display Scaling
Often, the display scaling plays a vital role in fixing this error. The display scaling in Windows OS determines the magnifying level of the screen. So, it shouldn’t have a conflict with DirectX. Always use the recommended display scaling to fix the DirectX issues. Follow the instructions below to change the display scaling.
- Right-click to the “Start” button and select “Settings” from here.
- Select the “System” category from here.
- Here, you will see the “Display Scaling” category. Set it according to the recommended settings.
- Now, restart the PC and launch the game.
- It will not show the error this time.
Method # 5: Install Windows Updates
If you haven’t installed Windows Updates, you should check for the latest updates to avoid this error. It’s very simple to check for the latest updates. Follow the steps below in this context.
- Go to the Search and type “Windows Updates” here.
- Once it appears in the search results, click on it to launch Windows Updates.
- Now, click the “Check for Updates” option here.
- If some updates are available, it will show you the results. Install them manually if you haven’t set the “Install Automatically” option.
Now, you can run the games without facing this error.